Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's not you, it's me.

No, I'm not trying to let a guy off easy. Well, not in the sense that most people probably think of when they hear those words. Contrary to popular belief, this infamous saying has transcended the ages and can now be used in  a variety of situations.

I recently renewed my membership at LA Fitness. I argued with myself that the fitness center where I live was sufficient enough, but it didn't have a sauna or a steam room. Not to mention the greater possibility of spotting some delicious eye candy.

My membership came with a free fitness assessment and personal training session so I signed myself up to do it bright and early on a Saturday morning. I was met by a fit, handsome young man about the same age as me. He asked me questions about my lifestyle, what I ate, what I drank and how much I knew about fitness. He seemed to like my answers so far.

Then came the fever of the pitch: how much and how long could they lock me in for with a personal trainer. I gave his proposal some considerate thought, but wasn't quite buying into the deal (literally). So he sweetened it up a little more for me by lowering the price and initial fees. I would have to commit to a minimum of 3 sessions a month for 3 months. I still said, "Ehh" on getting locked in for 3 months. He then pitched it from a different angle. At this time I looked at him and said, "Listen...I'm not sure how to say this but...I don't do well with commitment." He leaned back a bit and didn't say anything so I shrugged and said, "It's not you it's me."

He stared at me briefly before saying, "I can only do this for you today," to which I replied, "Then I just might have to walk away from it today, but if it works out further down the road and the circumstances are right we will definitely talk again." And with that we said our thank yous and shook hands. As I walked away I couldn't help but feel that I had broken up with something that hadn't even started.

No comments:

Post a Comment